Thursday, December 20, 2012

How I Made a Wooden Tri-plane

Many years ago I visited a shop to by a walkman which cost about 700 Rupees. In the same shelf there was a plane that had a price tag of 1500 Rupees. I asked the salesman what it was and he showed it to me. It was a small model Aero-plane with a wing span of just 10 inches. It was not a toy for it was an exact model and had to be carefully assembled together. I wondered who on earth would buy such a thing, and then I realized it was a collectors item. Perhaps a man who worked for an Airline as an Engineer would use it to show his friends about a plane he used to repair, or perhaps the retired Air Force General would keep it on his table, or a collector who had a fascination with planes.

I decided to make a plane like it with wood and sell it for 1000 Rupees. The trouble is I knew nothing at all about woodworking, and I didn’t know anyone whom I could ask. But in the library I found a book about woodworking, it was a wonderfully written book with clear pictures. The tools you need are simple. There is the hand saw which is used to cut planks but this is usually not needed when making small items because the wood can be cut to size in the wood mill. But its cousin a small saw that resembles a hacksaw but is much smaller and cheaper than it, is still needed. The chisel which is used to sculpt wood by hitting the handle with a hammer or applying pressure is a basic tool for woodworking. (But I didn’t use it much for I used the saw to cut the wood to size and the Rasp to shape it). A rasp which is actually a sought of file, but with bigger grooving. When used in a similar way to a file it scrapes off wood very efficiently. Although it was not mentioned in the book I found the normal file, which is usually used only on metal is very useful for smoothing the surface. And the vice which is tightened to the table is used to hold the wood firmly when cutting it with the saw, or working on it with another tool. The vice is usually quite a heavy tool, but a small vice which cost only about 250 rupees is perfectly adequate for this purpose. A hand drill is useful, and of course the hammer which was already there.

I wondered where I could buy these tools, and found a stretch of road about a kilometer long, and on both sides of the road there are shops that sell only wood working tools. I bought all the tools I need for less than 1500 Rupees. I found it incredible that a man could start business in one of the main areas of commerce by reading a book, or by getting a few tips from a carpenter, and buy all he needed for just 1500 rupees. If as I hoped I could sell my plane for 1500 rupees, I would have most probably covered all the cost in the first transaction, but the tools would still be there so from the second plane onwards I would make a big profit.

The next step was to find a plane to make. I have an old encyclopedia which has pictures of aircraft and under “Historic Aircraft of World War I” I found a red Tri-plane (three wings) that particularly appealed to me. It was the Fokker Dr. 1 Tri-plane flown by Baron Manfred von Richthofen (1892-1918), the World War I German flying Ace, who as leader of an air group called the “Flying Circus” personally shot down 80 Allied planes. Richthofen served in the cavalry and infantry before entering air service in 1915, and was known as the “Red Baron” for the color of the plane he flew, but was shot down in aerial combat possibly by Captain A. R. Brown of the British Air Force. 

I first built a plane to get familiar with the tools, considering I worked on it without a plan it still looked quite good. To build an exact model I needed details like the wing span, the length and width of the fuselage, size and shape of the tail fin and other details. I wondered from where I could find such specialized details. Incredibly in a book I found in the Library on Aircraft there are diagrams of planes giving these details. I drew these diagrams by hand and set out building the plane. I wanted to build a plane with a wing span of 10 inches.

I used mahogany for it is easy to work on. I bought a plank from the wood mill but it was too thick. There is a machine in any wood mill called a Plainer-thicknesser that is used to plain wood to the required thickness. I plained it to a fraction of an inch and drew the three wings on it, held it in the vice and used the small saw to cut it. Then I used the rasp for the slight tapering effect on the top of the wings, and the file to smooth it. In a similar way I cut the tail sections, the propeller and all the other sections except the fuselage from the same plank of wood. The tail sections were a little thinner so I used the rasp and file to make it thin. I bought a square pole and used the thicknesser to make it to the size of the front end of the fuselage. The fuselage tapers up and becomes smaller as it nears the tail section, all I had to do is to cut this part with the small saw and use the rasp and file to shape it.

The small teeth of the small saw cuts the wood rapidly and does not hold the wood and get stuck like the hand saw. The design simplicity of this plane is amazing, a big plank could be used to cut any amount of wings and other parts except the fuselage, and the fuselage itself is just a square pole, so any amount can be cut from a long pole.

Many people think to cut a wheel you need a wood lathe, but it is not so. I drew the wheel on the plank and cut slightly around the line of the wheel, and a few stokes of the file towards the line made a really good wheel. The axel was also made in a similar way, and I used the hand drill to make a hole and connect the wheel to the axel. The wheel and the propeller were movable parts.

I pasted all the parts with glue and painted it red, and when I painted the Iron Cross on the wings, fuselage and tail it looked incredibly good. I felt really happy at having made a model plane that actually had the same energy of the real Fokker Dr.1 flown by the “Red Baron.” The next day I wanted to take it to shops and show it as a sample of what I could build if they were willing to sell. But that evening a friend visited me with his son, and when I showed it to them, his son pleaded with me to give him the plane. I reluctantly gave it thinking that I would be able to make another for now I knew how it was done. Soon after they left I felt a great sense of loss, and sadly never built a model tri plane again. For something more important came up and soon responsibilities overwhelmed me. And I lent some of my tools which were never returned. I feel the wooden Tri Plane is just at the edge of my hands, but I never really manage to make one. But one day when I am a little less busy I will make one for my son, and I am sure I can make many more and sell at a profit.

Written by: RJX

No comments:

Post a Comment