Sunday, February 11, 2024

A WALK IN THE DARK

 

Once I took the old sea route
For I had missed the bus
Taking the road on that dark night
Was for me just too much

An old man told of this old beach route
That he alone once tread
But now as I walk on this strange beach I wonder
Was the old man dead

As I gaze at the dark night's stars
The constellations now seem strange
To the left of me is the strange dark sea
To the right a Portuguese grave

These men had been dead for centuries
But why did they die here
So far from their homeland
It fills me with a terrible fear

Why did these men come here
This was not their land
To die on a foreign beach
I never understood it man

When I set out this night
I thought I saw the Great Bear
But now strange stars loom so large
That it gives me a scare

The Sea now seems to say something
Or did someone scream
Northern Lights seem so strange
In this Eastern beach

Are these the sands I left behind
Or the famed Sands of Time
Will I reach my home beach
Or the very dawn of Life

Has a night now passed
Or perhaps a Century
Is that a sea turtle out there
Or a Creature of some Primordial beach

I wake up in my home beach
Where fishermen cry fish, fish
But did I really walk out there
Or was I half asleep.

1 comment: