Saturday, March 23, 2024

Trinco

 

……Many years ago, I was walking on a village road in Trinco with a Doctor who seemed to be more interested in trees and plants than on patients. He seemed to know everything there was to know about plants and was lecturing me about each plant and tree, the structure of the flowers, the kind of leaf, the root system, we came across as we walked. It seemed he had an endless knowledge about everything that the botanical world could throw at him and was fascinated by his own knowledge. I was astonished. But isn’t this useless knowledge, that was irrelevant to me as well as him. How could it benefit anyone other than someone directly involved in it to earn more money. Didn’t a famous ancient poet (whose name I couldn’t recall), once say that education is like an endless ocean, but to be successful one had to be like the mythical swan, who when given milk mixed with a lot of water would only drink the milk but put away the water. Time being finite shouldn’t we only filter out knowledge that is useful to us. However I never asked him this question, because it seemed an unkind thing to say. But as I was listening to his endless lecture on plants I realized the true value of such knowledge. To pass an exam or maybe even to be successful we should follow the mythical swan. But to be happy we must take a wider interest in things around us, the trees, the stars and a million other things around us…..


No comments:

Post a Comment